Thursday, October 22, 2009

First week on the job

So, this week is my first official week working for BettyConfidential.com. I've been interning for them since June, but just came on board "officially." I've learned so much these past few days including how much time, energy and overall effort goes into creating and maintaining a website.

[sidenote: According to compete.com, Betty had over 1 million unique visitors last month and we are continuing to grow. Through the grapevine, I've hear our number was much higher than that, so I'm not too sure how reliable compete is.]

Anyway, since I do not go into an office every day, but rather work from home - it can be quite difficult communicating amongst everyone (from editorial to marketing to interns). Another issue I came across is that the staff is spread throughout the country, which puts us all in different time zones. Since there are so many different aspects of Betty, being able to target the right person for the right question can be rather challenging. I've been doing a lot of research for blogs and websites with content similar to ours and that alone takes up a lot of time. Then, going through each individual site, relating to it and constructing a personalized email to the editor is another solid amount of time. I think the key to all of this is organized. By tracking the things I'm doing, and building relationships with writers and bloggers, I can hopefully be able to develop a system where I can link exchange and get our content placed.

I think I'm all over the place in this post. Maybe I'm still all over the place in life, which is why I'm a little frazzled this week.

Eh, tomorrow I'll sum up the week (after my research, conference call, and weekly reports ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment